ACCESSORY BUILDINGS OR STRUCTURES
Residents constructing or erecting a permanent or temporary accessory building or structure, such as a detached garage, shed, fabric shelter, or pergola on their property are required to obtain a Building Permit. Please note that used/relocated accessory buildings may require inspection and/or additional approvals prior to being moved.
The following sizes of accessory buildings do not require a Building Permit:
- Town of Stonewall: 120 square feet or less in floor area;
- Town of Teulon: 120 square feet or less in floor area and under 10 feet in height;
- R.M. of Rockwood: 120 square feet or less in floor area and under 15 feet in height;
- R.M. of Rosser: 120 square feet or less in floor area and under 15 feet in height.
- Completed application form (required for paper applications) (Click Here for PDF);
- Detailed site plan (Click Here for PDF);
- Letter of Intent regarding the intended use of the accessory building (if applicable);
- Please note on plans any proposed plumbing rough-ins or hookups;
- One (1) legible PDF copy of building plans (a paper copy of the plans may also be requested, depending on the project). If there is no PDF available, two (2) legible paper copies that are drawn and printed to scale are required (only one (1) paper copy is required if the plans are printed on paper that is 11" x 17" or smaller). Plans are to be drawn to a minimum scale of 1:250 or 1/8” = 1’; NOTE: If you're doing an addition to an existing building, if the building has tall wall construction, if it has over 30 foot wide trusses, is Pole Building construction, is premanufactured, or contains more than one storey, a Manitoba Licensed Professional Engineer's signature and seal dated within one year of the complete application date is required;
- When proposing a Detached Garage or Accessory Building with a foundation slab of up to 800 sq ft or 30 feet wide (any length), you may use the 'Accessory Buildings Sheet'. When submitting your own plans, please ensure that all of the details noted in the Accessory Buildings Sheet are included (Click Here for PDF);
- Letter of authorization is required if you are applying on behalf of the landowner (Click Here for PDF);
- Status of Title(s) for all land subject to the application. The Status of Title(s) cannot be more than 30 days old. The Status of Title(s) can by acquired from your lawyer, the Winnipeg Land Titles Office (Teranet Manitoba), or by purchasing them directly from the SIPD office (Click Here for PDF). Additionally, a letter from your lawyer may be required if the property is in the process of being transferred to your name;
- Total construction value (i.e., final project costs including all material and labour);
- Application Review Fee and/or Development Permit Fee. Additional Permit Fees and Construction Security Deposit are required (as applicable) in accordance with the SIPD’s Fee Structure By-Law prior to permit issuance (Click Here for PDF);
- It is the responsibility of the applicant / owner to satisfy or adhere to any Development Agreement requirements that may pertain to the property. Some requirements may need to be fulfilled prior to the SIPD’s issuance of permits.